Group therapy has been shown to be as effective as individual therapy in treating a wide variety of emotional, cognitive, and behavioral concerns. Additionally, the ability to grow together, through shared experiences, can be a powerful way to improve mental health and promote lasting change beyond the group setting. Because sharing personal information can be difficult, group members decide what is discussed and are encouraged to share only when they are comfortable
To join any group, request 'Group Meetings' when you complete your application for services. An assistant director will discuss our group options with you after reviewing your application.
The CPSD's Anxiety Clinic offers a group that uses cognitive-behavioral therapy to target social anxiety, panic attacks, worry, obsessions and compulsions, phobias, post-traumatic stress, and other anxiety-related concerns. Members learn about anxiety and specific coping skills. Members then practice these skills in gradual exposure exercises and learn to apply their skills to future situations and other areas of concern.
$5-10 per session / 8 seats per group / 10-12 group sessions / open to individuals with anxiety-related concerns who are at least 18 years old / can join prior to group start date if a seat is available
- Learn about the causes and consequences of anxiety and stress
- Understand connections between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- Learn coping skills to overcome anxiety and stress
- Face fears in a supportive environment
- Challenge negative thought patterns
- Practice coping skills
Day and time: offered several times per year; contact us for more information.
The CPSD offers a DBT skills group that provides concrete strategies for improving interpersonal relationships, managing your emotions, and tolerating distressing situations. One mechanism for the training includes learning mindfulness skills.
This group is offered in combination with individual services at the CPSD, and you must be in individual therapy while in the group. The group is helpful for a wide variety of psychological and interpersonal problems and is not limited to a specific kind of problem.
$5-10 per session / 8 seats per group / ongoing / open to anyone who is also enrolled in individual therapy / can join anytime a seat is available
- Identify the relationships between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- Learn skills for improving relationships
- Learn to identify and regulate emotions
- Learn to tolerate distressing situations
- Practice mindfulness to improve well-being
Day and time: Wednesdays 4:30 p.m to 6 p.m.
The CPSD offers process therapy groups that are open to any problem type and include people from diverse backgrounds. Individuals in process groups can gain an understanding of the origins of their problems, learn to talk honestly about their emotions, and identify patterns in thinking, feelings, and behaviors.
$5-10 per session / 8 seats per group / ongoing / open to individuals who are at least 18 years old / can join anytime a seat is available
- Gain insight into the origins of problems
- Talk honestly about emotions
- Identify patterns in thinking, feeling, and behaving
- Improve interpersonal difficulties and social isolation
- Use relationships to solve problems and learn from others
- Give and receive social feedback
- Improve communication skills
- Try new behaviors and ways of interacting
- Safe and supportive social environment
Your choice of day and time: Tuesdays 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Wednesdays 6 to 7:30 p.m.